Is balance truly attainable? Although many will believe that balance can not possibly be eliminated it IS something that can be successfully attained.
Before we dive into ways to attain balance it’s important to recognize what type of balance you are trying to achieve. Is it work balance? Is it life balance? Or is it a combination of work and life balance? Once you have recognized the type of balance you are trying to attain and achieve you will notice that the same rules will apply to all.
There are many pitfalls that will contribute to an unbalanced and in turn a stressful life. One of those pitfalls is called: Multi-tasking. Oh my word, did I say multi-tasking? Yes, yes I did. Although many women may feel that they are the ultimate multi-taskers, they will also be the first to say that they lead a very stressful life both at home and in their work environment. Do I believe women can do a lot? Yes, I do. However, doing all of those things at the same time will ultimately lead to stress which is something everyone is trying to avoid.
Why multi-tasking will prevent balance?
- Lack of concentration - How many times have you walked into a room and completely forgotten why you went into that room in the first place? This is due to the many things you have swirling around in your head. Your concentration levels will be hindered if you are trying to do many things at once.
- Inadequate performance – It is inevitable that your work performance will suffer if you are trying to do many things at once. If you are answering phones, while reading emails and trying to hold conversation; one or all of those tasks will suffer. Remember the old Calgon commercial, where the dog is barking, the child is screaming, the phone is ringing and someone is at the door? The woman’s head in the commercial looked as if it were going to explode and that is what ultimately will lead to stress.
- The joy is gone – There is truly no way to enjoy something if your mind is wandering onto other tasks you should be doing. How can you truly enjoy a conversation with your child if in your mind you are making a grocery list or trying to determine how you will market your product. You will certainly miss out on a lot of joys in your life if you are not able to focus on what is in front of you.
It is possible to achieve balance in your life but with the many distractions in your life such as emails, social media, text messages, voice mail, skype messages and more, it can truly be difficult.
Balance in your life can be attainable if you:
- Prioritize – It’s important to determine what is the most important and focus on those particular tasks or events first. Only you can determine what is more important in your life at the moment. You may be approached with a project that sounds interesting at the moment. You won’t know if you will truly enjoy it if you don’t try it, but also keep in the back of your mind if this particular project will interfere with other tasks in your life and will it be worth the effort. What may work for one person will not work for another, no matter how much one tries. So ultimately, it’s up to you to prioritize and balance will be achieved.
- Set Boundaries – This perhaps may be the biggest reason that many won’t or can’t attain balance in their lives. Boundaries require you to let go of many responsibilities you have placed upon yourself. It also requires you to use the magic word – ‘no’ from time to time. As difficult as this may seem, when you sit down and determine what is important in your life; letting go is something that you must do. Don’t let the answer ‘no’ become a negative in your life. In fact, it is quite liberating and if used appropriately will help you release the pressures you have placed upon yourself. Again, it’s not easy, but it is extremely necessary for your well being and those around you.
Achieving and attaining balance is possible. It ultimately comes down to you. Do you have the courage to say ‘no’. Are you brave enough to eliminate the many distractors that have become a norm in your life. Perhaps it’s time to step back and re-evaluate what has invaded your life and begin eliminating the distractors.
Can stress be eliminated completely? The answer to that question is not easy but stress can be truly tamed if you determine what is causing the stress and strive for balance.