Do you think you know all there is to know about nutrition, diet and food safety? If you answered ‘No’, you are not alone.
The International Food Information Council Foundation (IFICF) recently conducted a survey and not surprisingly the amount of people that had an understanding of appropriate diet and food safety was very low.
According to the survey conducted by the IFICF the 7 Diet Disconnects are:
- Counting Calories: Almost 69% of Americans who claim to be trying to improve their diet reported doing so in order to lose weight. But surprisingly, only 15% of people know the actual amount of calories they should consume each day.
- Food Safety: Only 66% of Americans say they cook their food to the required temperature. But only 29% report using a food thermometer to check whether their poultry or meat are ‘done’.
- Breakfast: Of all the people surveyed 92% agreed that breakfast is an important meal when trying to achieve a healthy diet. However, less than half (46%) actually reported eating breakfast every day.
- Diet and Physical Activity: The majority surveyed, 88% to be exact reported being physically active at least once a week. However, nearly half (44%) of these say they do not ‘balance diet and physical activity’ to manage their weight.
- Carbohydrates: Although they claim to be dieting correctly, more than two-thirds of consumers say they are trying to consume more of certain types of carbohydrates such as fiber and whole grains. But sadly, only half are concerned with the amount of carbohydrates they consume.
- Dietary Fats: Consumer concern about the types and amounts of fats they include in their diet remains high and they are more aware of trans fats than ever, 91% to be exact. Unfortunately, more than 60% of consumers don’t understand unsaturated fats are beneficial to your health.
- Food and Beverages with Added Health Benefits: Just about 80% of Americans agree that consuming certain food and beverages can provide health and wellness benefits beyond the basic nutrition. However, 50% or more of Americans say they currently do not consume food or beverages that contain these benefits, although many are interested in them.
After reviewing the results of this survey it is no wonder that most Americans are very unhealthy and that as a nation we are the most unhealthy people.
People must take notice and care of their health and it all begins with the types of foods we eat and the amount. By simple moderation we can increase our quality of life.