The Benefits of Oil Pulling

First you may be wondering what oil pulling is and what benefits it may have. This is not a new age process or new at all. This process called ‘oil pulling’ has been borrowed from the ancient Ayurvedic teachings. It’s not a long process and all you need is 15 minutes to reap the benefits it provides.

In order to begin this process of oil pulling you will need a cold-pressed oil such as sunflower or sesame oil, however one of the most commonly used oils for this process is coconut oil. Since this oil will be swished in your mouth, yes your mouth, for at least 15 minutes I chose coconut oil over the other oils but you can choose any cold-pressed oil.

Before sharing the benefits with you, let me explain the process and how you must do it. Here is a step-by-step guide to this process of oil pulling:

1. Best to perform this process in the morning on an empty stomach; take one tablespoon of your preferred choice of oil and place in your mouth.

2. Swoosh it around your mouth making sure to swish the oil solution within your cheeks and sucking through your teeth. Make sure it touches all the portions of the oral cavity. *DO NOT SWALLOW*

3. It is recommended you do this procedure called ‘oil pulling’ for 15 to 20 minutes. You may be wondering how you will keep this oil in your mouth for such a long period but you can do it while in the shower or doing your hair.

4. Remember it’s important NOT to swallow this mixture since it will become toxic. It’s important to keep in your mouth for at least 15 minutes. You may be tempted to spit it out sooner and you can test it first. It is recommended you keep the oil in your mouth until it you see the oil turn into a white solution.

5. Once you have swooshed the oil in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes, then you can spit out the mixture in the sink or toilet. Rinse your mouth thoroughly and brush your teeth. However if you are using coconut oil, it is best to dispose in a trash can, the coconut will solidify and ruin your plumbing.

Although this procedure seems tedious and useless, the benefits certainly outweigh the small ‘torturous’ swooshing of oil in your mouth. Some benefits that have been reported are:

• Boost in energy
  • Increased metabolism
  • Decreased joint pain
  • Decreased PMS symptoms
  • Clearer skin
  • Decreased allergies
  • Decreased headache symptoms
  • Relieve bleeding gums
  • Whitens teeth

As you can tell there are definite benefits and many more that I couldn’t possibly share in this post. As an alternative medicine doctor I am always looking for alternative methods and natural remedies to increase my health. I confess that I tried this method years ago and forgot about it until recently reminded by a dear friend. So guess who will be swooshing coconut oil on a regular basis? You guessed it!

A question that I have received is how often to do this procedure. Although there is not a definitive time frame, I performed this procedure for 3 weeks and definitely saw results from it. My energy was increased and my gums looked healthier. So, although I may not perform this oil pulling process every day of my life, I will incorporate into my routine for at least one week out of each month.

Try this procedure and let me know how you feel afterwards. Remember to swoosh in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes and DO NOT swallow the mixture since it will contain the toxins that were ‘pulled’ from your mouth.

About Dr. Daisy Sutherland (800 Posts)

Dr. Daisy Sutherland is the Founder/CEO of Dr. Mommy Online. She is a doctor, author, speaker, social media strategist, brand ambassador, wife & mom to 5 children. Dr. Daisy's mission is to ~ Help Busy Moms and Families achieve Happier and Healthier Lifestyles. Don't forget to grab your FREE gift...7 Simple Ways to Stay Motivated

You'll Like These too!

Join The Discussion

Discussion

1. 1

Great article Dr. Daisy! I just did this for the first time this morning — but I don’t think I did it for long enough. It was more like 10mins. :) I will try to do better next time.

2. 2
    Becky Fisher says:

I’ve heard of this before but never tried it. Guess whats on my list now! There sure are a lot of benefits!

3. 3

Dr. Daisy, I have never heard of this process and look forward to trying it. I truly believe in chiropractic and alternative remedies to keep us healthy. I need to replenish my coconut oil so I can get started. Thanks so much for sharing!

4. 4
    Lorii Abela says:

Thanks for the great article, Dr. Daisy. The truth is this is the first time that I heard about oil pulling and was in awe when I have read its benefits.

5. 5
    Olga Hermans says:

Oh wow I like this and will definitely do this. I am swooshing my teeth at this moment with hydrogyn peroxide to whiten my teeth some more and it is heping, but the idea of using coconut oil sounds so much better. How times a week do you do this though? Off I go to swoosh my mouth with coconut oil!!

6. 6
    Gina Parris says:

Wow. That sounds like quite a lot of work. Since the benefits resemble the benefits of ingesting high quality fish oil, why not just swallow fish oil??

• 6.1
      Dr. Mommy says:

Not sure fish oil can whiten your teeth..lol..so I’ll stick to swooshing and enjoying fish instead :)

7. 7

Wow, this is very interesting and I’m going to try the “oil pulling” procedure. One question I have Dr. Daisy is “where do I get good coconut oil” to use in the oil pulling procedure.

• 7.1
      Dr. Mommy says:

Hi Carla, you can find quality coconut oil at your local health food store and sometimes available in gourmet or health section of grocery stores..if no luck you can always purchase online:)

8. 8
    denny hagel says:

How interesting! I am a fan of anything natural so this is really appealing to me…thanks for sharing!

9. 9

I have never heard of this before. I can’t wait to try it!

10. 10
    Kim Hawkins says:

Never heard of it. I’m game though. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

11. 11
    Pauline says:

I’ve heard of oil pulling a few times from time to time and keep meaning to try it. Thanks much for bumping this up on my radar…now all I have to do is remember in the morning. ;-)

12. 12
    Heather says:

I’m willing to try this– haven’t heard of it before. Do you sell coconut oil? My concern is just that my skin is super oily. Would this make my skin more oily even though I’m not putting it on my skin? seems like if the process changes my skin — I’d be concerned it might change it to be more oily…..? So interesting, thank you!

• 12.1
      Dr. Mommy says:

I don’t believe this will affect your oily skin..you will be swooshing in your mouth and spitting out…make sure not to swallow..you can purchase cold pressed oils or organic coconut oil at your local health food store

• 12.2
      Celine says:

I am a health practitioner in natural medicine, have been for 30 years. The intake of good essential oils or fat will take away the bad fat from your body. So put away bad fats and take good essential fats.
      I heard about that pulling oil from a friend a couple of days ago. I don’t see benefits yet, too early, but even after the first ”treatment” my mouth was fresh, better that usually when I brush my teeth..

• 12.2.1
        Dr. Mommy says:

Hi Celine! Welcome:) I am a Doctor of Chiropractic and have been for 20 years :) Essential oils are very beneficial and the oil pulling process has been found to be very helpful and successful for those who have used this procedure:)

• 12.2.1.1
          Celine says:

Hi, this is my 4th day I think with Pulling Oil. I was wondering how it works, and why the oil becomes white, because it does. And what are the other benefits besides those listed above?
          Great Sunday to you,
          Celine
          From Quebec City

13. 13
    Jan Maskew says:

This is very interesting and I am going to try this.

14. 14
    Carol Giambri says:

Great information. Heard about oil pulling but wasn’t sure on the purpose or the how. Thanks for closing the gaps for me.

15. 15

Yikes! I’ll try it because I trust you Dr Daisy. but wow not sure I can keep it in my mouth that long LOL

16. 16
    Vicky Savellis-Grant says:

Interesting article! I have never heard of this before…. I’ll give it a go. Thank you.

17. 17
    Edmund Lee says:

This is a first..I have never heard of this before in my life, but I am going to give this a try.

18. 18

I’ve heard of this before but thought it was nuts. The sources didn’t really have information on the logic behind it. Thanks for explaining! Doesn’t coconut oil have some special anti bacterial qualities that other oils don’t have? Christiane

• 18.1
      Dr. Mommy says:

Yes, Christiane:) Although many will use any cold-pressed oil..I tend to lean towards coconut oil for it’s vast amount of benefits:)

19. 19
    Betty says:

I am a living proof of this magnificent method of “Oil Pulling” and hope other people want to try it. To start with, yes my skin got lighter and get this my strech marks for my 2 pregnancies are almost gone this its a miracle, and my skin specially looks so healthy I love it. Anyway good luck!!!!

20. 20
    Poonam says:

Is it safe to do if I have dental fillings?

• 20.1
      Dr. Mommy says:

Oil pulling removes the toxins from the body. It may in fact remove mercury and other agents found in dental fillings…if that is the case it may be time to get your fillings checked. Otherwise, I have not found any instances where oil pulling will hurt at all.

21. 21
    Kim says:

Okay, so today I tried it for the first. time. I tried EVO because that is what I had on hand. WOW. I can already see the difference in my teeth. They just look whiter. I did it for almost 15 minutes, but it was my first time and my face just got really sore and tired. Tomorrow and the next day should be better. I even feel a bit more energetic. Who knew, right?

22. 22
    Shannon says:

Thanks so much for this article Dr. Daisy! I’ve been convinced of the benefits of oil pulling for a long time now, but I’ve had trouble getting it into my routine because I’m so afraid of swallowing ANY of the solution, and I can’t seem to get through even a few minutes of swishing without that tiny tickle at the back of my throat. How worried do I have to be about those tiny little swallows (where honestly it doesn’t even feel like I’m swallowing anything)? Does anyone else struggle with this? Please let me know what your advice would be. My alternative at the moment, if it really is that important that NOTHING is swallowed, is to spit when I feel like I need to swallow and start over with fresh oil. But this is getting expensive…Please help. Thank you!

• 22.1
      Dr. Mommy says:

Hi Shannon,
      I truly understand that feeling of swallowing the oil…it will take time and practice…start with a small amount..perhaps a teaspoon instead of a tablespoon…swallowing a drop will not hurt but if you can resist I would encourage you not to swallow the oil. Believe me this is a process that must be practiced so try with a smaller amount at first…hugs and good luck :)

• 22.1.1
        royston says:

Hi Dr.Mommy.

I have tried this for a month using extra virgin olive oil. Yes my skin seems to be smoother , glowing and seems like oily. I feel so energetic and have very good deep sleep. My skin also seems getting lighter though. The only drawback that i am having now is that i seem to be gaining more wieght and people are noticing this and i am very sure that is because of oil pulling. I also feel hungry very often. Is the oil i am using is fine or do you recommend me using coconut oil ? Or should i stop ths OP until my so obvious midsection loses its bulge..

Hope you hear your great advice. Thanks.

• 22.1.1.1
          Dr. Mommy says:

This is the first time I have heard about weight gain but it can be due to the type of oil you are using…the only suggestion or recommendation I can make is to change the oil you are using. Have you considered using coconut oil? If you do decide to change the oil, please keep me posted.

• 22.1.1.1.1
            royston says:

hi dr.mommy,

I have changed it vigin coconut oil as of 1st jan…for the first 2 weeks my stomach was still getting bigger but now it seems going down..well monitor and keep you updated. May i know which is the most effective oil based on all you have heard or seen so far ?
            Thanks.

• Dr. Mommy says:

That’s good news…however, if the weight gain continues it is important to visit your personal general physician.

23. 23
    royston says:

Hi Dr.Daisy,

I have been oil pulling for a month and i am already reaping the benefits. Noticed that i am getting hungrier and putting on weight. Is this common ? I am having thoguhts of stopping this OP because of the sudden gain in my tummy. PLease help.

24. 24
    Kelly Cooke says:

I ran across oil pulling while looking through Pinterest and started about a month ago. My knees used to hurt almost constantly whenever I walked, and now they only smart a little when I walk down stairs. I also haven’t had heartburn once since I started and used to get it daily. I use coconut oil, but have read that sesame or sunflower is what was originally recommended. Does it matter which oil I use? Also, I’ve read that OP will pull your metal fillings out. I’d love to get mine replaced, but do NOT have any money right now. Do I need to worry about losing my fillings? I sure don’t want to give up the benefits I’ve experienced in only 1 month, but don’t want to lose my teeth either. Thanks in advance for any advice =)

• 24.1
      Celine says:

Hi Kelly,

I had my fillings taken out 4 years ago. You better see a very good holistic dentist who not take all the fillings at the same time, because of the mercuric toxicity. My holistic dentist covered me with a special apron and put a mask with oxygen on my nose.